Seminar Task 4 – Still Life

This task focuses on the concept of still life, items obtained through means of finding or borrowing in day to day life and placing them in new environments which creates an original visualisation. This task had me rattling my brain for ideas as to what I could recreate through everyday objects. Looking around Lincoln, I wasn’t sure as to what objects I could use for this project. After coming home (to North Yorkshire) I settled upon the idea of rough objects in a homely setting. After rummaging through my fathers’ workshop, I managed to find oddly shaped pieces of driftwood/logs. I then connected the old/rough wood to the idea of structure and created a (somewhat) organised pile. Placing this in front of some homely curtains provides a weird contrast and meets the briefs’ “Original Image using Pre-existing Objects”.

Below are the images which were first attempts:

IMG_20171118_204231

IMG_20171118_204430

IMG_20171118_204452

IMG_20171118_204500

It didn’t take me long to take a photograph which I believe is the best for a number of reasons.

FINAL IMAGE:

Task4_Final

I am pleased with the way this final image turned out. There are a few aspects about this one image which I think makes it stand out compared to the others. The lighting of this image is a high key form which coats the foreground whilst lightly covering the background providing a positive contrast between the rough textures and the homely setting. The image somewhat follows the grid format in that the object focused takes up two thirds of the whole shot – giving the whole shot a more appealing aspect.