Seminar Task 9 – Exhausting a place in Lincoln

This seminar task was based after the reading for this weeks schedule. The task was to sit in an average day to day setting in a public place, and document the “Normal” surroundings. The events which are otherwise seen as the mundane or usual and document them as they appear to give them new meaning. This task was relatively simple and didn’t take long at all to document. As expected there were little occurrences which happened throughout my stay but nothing outstanding. My findings were as follows:

Sat on the first floor of the Minerva Building. Two pairs of two people sat conversing, looking at notes on a page. Four individuals sat by themselves. One man stands to straighten his coat before retrieving his notes and swiftly leaving via the stairs. The others all using some form of technology, phones and a laptop. One man using a blue MacBook and blue earphones.

One seminar class grouped around tables of various sizes. All is still bar one person scratching his neck and playing with a Bic pen. One individual, sat near me, smiles at his phone before looking behind him at the seminar class, looking for reaction.

Every individual’s face appears blank or scowling whereas those fixated on conversation smile and laugh. Those sat alone using phones have taken comfortable positions, laying further back or raining a knee onto the sofa. An apple core and several bits of ripped brochures are littered on the tables. One person in the seminar stands before sitting again. One man steps out of a nearby door talking on the phone with someone.

A couple of ladies walk by conversing and smiling whilst talking at a louder than normal volume. A gentleman removes his grey jacket to reveal a bright pink jumper underneath before pulling out his phone and stroking his moustache.

Images:

IMG_20171123_154301 IMG_20171123_154315 IMG_20171123_154249_01

Conclusion:

This task was a success, the everyday surrounding was easy to document and project onto my blog. I was surprised to see just how much actually happens around myself when I pay enough attention. I found this task to be somewhat interesting and brings a new view on the concept of photography.